Skip to content
Main Menu ID Theft Central Search
Secondary Navigation »

Social Security Number Identity Theft

Social Security Number Identity Theft
If you suspect someone is using your Social Security Number or your child’s number for work purposes, you should file a Social Security Number Theft report at the Attorney General’s ID Theft Central. You should also consider contacting your local law enforcement agency to file a complaint. An investigator working your case should contact the Utah Department of Workforce Services in order to obtain a complete employment history of the compromised Social Security Number. Section 35A-4-312.5 of the Utah Code allows the department to share the history of work with law enforcement, if it involves identity theft.


Request a Social Security Statement

Request a Social Security Statement from the Social Security Administration to review your earned wages. Report any discrepancies to the Social Security Administration (Report Fraud: (800) 269-0271). If you discover that your Social Security number was used by someone else for employment purposes, file the appropriate Identity Theft report(s) on this web site.


How to Request a Social Security Statement?
You can request a Social Security Statement by going online at and submitting a Social Security Statement request form SSA-7050. The Social Security Administration will not send your Statement back on the Internet. Instead, you will receive your Statement through regular mail in about 2-4 weeks.
If you are not comfortable sending information to the Social Security Administration over the Internet, you may download the Social Security Statement request form SSA-7050 and mail it to the address on the form. You can also order your Personal Earnings and Benefits Statement by telephone at (800) 772-1213.


When You Request Your Social Security Statement, You Will Need:

  • Your name as shown on your Social Security Card
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your place of birth
  • Your mother’s maiden name – last name only (to help identify you)
  • Consent of Release of your Social Security Information

Certain situations may require you to provide proof of your Social Security Number. If you are unable to establish accounts with financial institutions, creditors, insurance agencies, or to obtain medical treatment because of identity theft, you should complete form SSA-3288. Request that your information be released to the organizations that are requesting proof of your Social Security Number. Make sure you provide each organizations name, address, and contact person.


Replacement Social Security Card
You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime.
To get a replacement card:
Complete a Social Security Application
Show documents proving U.S. citizenship, and Identity.
Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.
IRS Records Indicate You Received Wages From an Employer Unknown to You
The IRS has a toll-free number to assist identity theft victims. The IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit will mark affected accounts so that identity theft issues may be resolved more quickly. Victims can call (800) 908-4490 and speak with a customer service rep Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Site SettingsSettings