Skip to content
Main Menu ID Theft Central Search
Secondary Navigation »

Replace SSN For a Child

Will the Social Security Administration issue a new number to a child identity theft victim?
The Social Security Administration may assign a new Social Security number to your child if:


  • The child is being harassed, abused, or is in grave danger when using the original number you can prove that someone has stolen the number and is using it illegally.
  • You must provide evidence that the number actually is being misused, and that the misuse is causing the child significant, continuing harm.

If you apply for a new Social Security number for your child, you must prove the child’s age, citizenship or lawful immigration status, and identity.
Getting a new Social Security number probably won’t resolve all problems related to the theft of you child’s identity. Government agencies and some businesses may keep records under the child’s original Social Security number. In addition, because credit reporting companies use social Security numbers and other personal information to identify a person’s credit file, using a new number doesn’t guarantee a fresh start. But, by being careful with your child’s personal information and monitoring credit reports for fraudulent activity, you can limit the misuse. Learn more at
Source: Federal Trade Commission

Site SettingsSettings